Salted Salmon Ingredients
- salmon fillet 1 kg. (it is better to take frozen, it is easier to divide in half)
- sea salt 50 gr.
- sugar 75 gr.
- alcohol 30 ml. (vodka)
- dill (cilantro) 100 gr. (fresh)
- ground black pepper to taste
- greens to taste
- Main Ingredients
Inventory:cutting board, knives, parchment paper (to create a work surface that is large enough to cover two halves of salmon), a bowl
Salted salmon preparation:
Step 1: Cut the salmon.If salmon is frozen, give the fish time to defrost. Divide the salmon into two halves. Cut fish (remove bones, ridge, fins, tail). To remove all bones accurately, use tweezers. Even the smallest seeds should not remain in salmon.
Step 2: Prepare a dip sauce.Wash the dill and chop finely with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Pour vodka (alcohol) into a bowl, add salt, sugar, black pepper and chopped dill, mix it all thoroughly. Scoop the resulting mixture with a spoon and pour the salmon fillet so that the fish is well saturated with the alcohol composition. For better impregnation, make shallow cuts in the meat on the sides of the fillet.
Step 3: Combine the salmon before freezing.Tightly connect the two halves of the fillet with each other (by the principle of a sandwich), and wrap them tightly with parchment paper. Then put the wrapped fillet in the refrigerator freezer for 5-7 hours. See for yourself how long it should take, depending on the degree of freezing of your refrigerator. The salmon filet should freeze, but do not let it reach the state of frozen fish.
Step 4: Season salmon with greens and freeze for another day.After the appointed time (5-7 hours), remove the salmon filet from the refrigerator. Unwind the paper, remove unabsorbed salt. Then lightly taste the fish (somewhere on the edge) to find out if it is too salted. If it turned out to be too salty, rinse the fish in cold water, then pat the salmon with a paper towel. Generously season the salmon fillet with chopped herbs and your favorite seasonings and spices. Press the salmon filet halves together again (with a sandwich), wrap the fish with parchment paper. Put salmon again in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The fish should lie for at least a day, then it can be eaten. Do not store salted salmon for longer than a week. Enjoy your meal!
- - If desired, replace vodka (alcohol) with any other alcoholic beverage. For example, whiskey, rum or gin.
- - Add a little lemon juice, slices of orange (only then do not eat them), raw beet juice, grated ginger or zest of any kind of citrus (lemon, lime, orange, mandarin) to the salmon soaking mixture.
- - Do not limit yourself to the choice of seasonings. In addition to the usual, use any, even the most exotic. For example, coriander seeds, ground juniper berries, pink pepper peas or chopped spicy dried herbs will give an excellent taste to salted salmon.
- - If possible, do not use granulated sugar, but take brown sugar. This will give salmon a special, deeper smell and taste.
- - Ready salted salmon goes well with various types of sauces, for example, with sour cream or cream.