Ingredients for making stollen
- Butter 250 gr. + 100 gr. for impregnation
- Soft cottage cheese 250 gr. (if you have a grain of it, you can rub it through a sieve and add 1 tbsp.spoon of sour cream)
- Sugar 250 gr.
- Chicken egg 2 pcs.
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Dough baking powder 3 tsp
- Premium wheat flour 600 gr.
- Spices as desired (nutmeg, cardamom, cloves)
- A mixture of crushed nuts (I have almonds and walnuts) 200 gr.
- Raisin soaked in cognac 150 gr. + 5 tbsp cognac
- A mixture of chopped dried fruits and candied fruits (I have dried apricots, dried cherries, candied grapefruit) 200 gr.
- Powdered sugar for decoration to taste
- Main Ingredients: Raisins, Nuts, Flour
- Portion 2 loaves
- World cuisineGerman cuisine
Inventory:Knife, Bowls, Oven, Baking tray, Lattice, Mixer or whisk, Rolling pin, Table and teaspoons, Grater, Juicer, Cooking brush for grease, Foil or parchment paper
Step 1: Prepare the products.Rinse the raisins in hot water and wring out with your hands to get rid of excess moisture, then pour 5 tbsp of cognac and let it brew for an hour or a little more.
Step 2: Prepare a mixture of nuts and candied fruits.Wash the nuts and chop finely with a knife, about the same size as in the photo, I took almonds and walnuts. In principle, any fresh grain can be used. Dried fruits and candied fruits (dried apricots, dried cherries, candied grapefruit) also thoroughly rinse and chop finely with a knife. To save time, you can use a blender.
Step 3: Prepare the lemon juice and zest.Lemon zest - This is a thin upper yellow layer of lemon peel, which contains essential oils with a pleasant smell. It is best removed with a fine grater, and before that, the lemon must be thoroughly washed with a brush in warm water. Remember that we remove only the upper (painted, yellow) part of the peel. Next, squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon in the juicer.
Step 4: Cook the dough.By the way, the usual stollen is done on a yeast test, but I decided on cottage cheese and it turned out very tasty. so make the dough: butter 250 grams pre-softened at room temperature, and then beat carefully with a whisk with 250 grams of sugar, add 2 eggs and beat again until smooth. If you have a mixer on hand - use it, the process will go faster. Add 250 grams of soft cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar, lemon juice and zest. Add flour mixed with baking powder and knead the dough to make a smooth, uniform and soft mass.
Step 5: Knead the dough.We put the finished dough on a table sprinkled with flour and roll it out using a rolling pin into a large circle (1-2 cm thick). Pour raisin-nut-candied filling on it. We lift the edges of the dough to the filling and knead them until they mix together.
Step 6: Give the test a distinctive shape.Divide the dough in half, from each half we form an oblong loaf. With a palm edge or a rolling pin we make a longitudinal recess, dividing the dough in a 2: 1 ratio, as if separating a third of the loaf along. Loosely, without pressing, bend the smaller part to the larger one to get a step fold - a typical form for stollen. It turns out here are such "little frogs." The shape of the stollen - symbolizes the swaddled baby of Christ.
Step 7: Put in the oven.Put the stollen on a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated to 180 degrees oven approximately 90 minutes until ready. If the stollen surface burns, cover it with foil on top. Readiness can be checked with a toothpick or a match, it should be dry at the exit. At the end of the time, put the hot stollen on the grill and, using a culinary brush, grease the stollen with plenty of butter (100 grams), and then sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar so that the stollen is white. Wrap in several layers of foil or parchment paper and send it to ripen for 2-3 weeks in a cool place - for example, on a balcony or in the refrigerator.
Step 8: Serve Stollen.Stollen decided to eat on the first day of Christmas and for several days after it. It has a dry, dense texture and a thick aroma. Served chilled, sliced with a sharp knife, like a cupcake or similar pastries. The beauty of this cake is that it becomes even tastier the next day and is perfect for morning coffee. This sweetness conquered not only the world, but also me! Enjoy your meal!
- - There are no special secrets in the preparation of stollen, it is important to consider only that it is baked for a long time, so usually in the middle of the process the stollen is covered with foil and baked in this form until cooked.
- - To make dried fruits soft, they are soaked for a long time in alcohol (dark rum, cognac). Alcohol is added to the dough with rare exceptions.
- - Some types of baking require a long exposure. For this, the cooled stollen is wrapped in several layers of baking paper and stored in a dark, dry place for five days or more to “ripen”. This improves the taste of baking.
- - For the adit choose the best butter - its taste depends on it in many respects.
- - In the adit you can add various spices - nutmeg, cardamom, cloves - what do you like more